Sunday, June 13, 2010

Blessings

Mother seems so much better emotionally! She is enjoying the interaction with so many caring people, and she likes her room and the food. Her only complaint was that she didn't get to shower one day. No full blown anxiety attacks since she entered the Care Center. She does get anxious in the evenings, but I've been able to calm her down and put her to bed easily.

This morning she told me she'd slept well till 5 AM when Missy came by to see her on her way to the beach. ????? Missy was asleep at her house then, about 60 miles away. She was also going on about how nice it was to have Aaron helping her get to the bathroom the other night. Aaron lives in a different state. She wanted to know when he'd gotten back from Spain. Oops, wrong grandson. I'm glad even those far away are visiting and taking good care of her!

Then there is her roommate Julia. The only other Latina in the place. Actually they were aquainted years ago, their husbands were good friends. We are so happy to have them together. Julia's family visits a lot also, so they will both have more company!

Some funny stuff going on. My mother complains that Julia is bossy, tells her not to go for a walk around the center "the marauders will get you because you are naked" says Julia. Another time my mother didn't want to go walk with me, because Julia might need her. When I insisted that Julia would be fine, the nurses or CNAs could help her, then mother said she couldn't leave because Julia might go through her stuff. While my mother is in the bathroom, Julia comes over and straightens her bed. She is in a wheel chair, yet was offering to help my mom last night, when mother had trouble walking.

Here is the funniest, tonight Julia's son told me that his mother thinks that our mother sleeps so much because she has a drinking problem! They had just gotten back from an outing and Julia asked me about mother. I said I was leaving because she was asleep. "I think she had a little refreshment", says Julia while making a gesture with her hand indicating someone having a drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment